Saturday, November 13, 2010

I’ll finish it by tomorrow, yaar...

“That’s cool!”
“Me too!”
“I’m up for anything new!”

These phrases happened to follow the mention of a daily game of football. Scholars all, wrapped up in blankets, fervently discussed and almost fixed the timings of the games and the teams involved, while the winds continued to ruffle the pages of books lying open on the bed.
“So we start tomorrow?”

Interestingly, all ‘good’ things in life always start tomorrow, or they will be accomplished by tomorrow. And “tomorrow” seems to have attained a broader meaning than its dictionary definition, broad in terms of the number of days included. Procrastination, the anthem of student life, is here to stay. And after putting aside my incomplete Physics record, I wonder: Why?

Why didn’t I buy a refill today? It’s alright, I’ll buy it tomorrow, and the shop is so close-by I can buy it anytime.
I should have recharged my phone today but I can’t. The shop is so damn far away!
Shall I read the chapter Sir has taught us today? Or I’ll read it tomorrow, its better I read the chapter entirely after it’s completed in the class.
Oh! I remember I have to give in an article for the magazine. I’ll do it by tomorrow, for sure.
My sister gave me some very good movies, I must watch them someday.
The people outside are calling me to play but I am too busy. I have to do some Math. I suck at Math.

Hey, I see her coming. I must ask her...
“Hi! I was looking for you. Could you lend me that book of yours? Thanks. Hey, don’t you think Natural selection is not a scientific theory because it is not falsifiable? Never mind. Tell me what exactly did that guy say to that girl that day?”

This is the sad story of a student.
Sad. Not because something tragic has happened but because nothing ever happens.
And we come back to our question: why?

When I was a kid, my grandfather used to tell me a story about a rabbit and a tortoise. I’m sure everyone has heard of it, where the rabbit quickly reaches near the finishing line of the sprinting race and then becomes lax and decides to take a short nap. The tortoise in the meantime slowly crosses the finishing line and thus unexpectedly wins the race. So have we all become overconfident like the rabbit?

Paulo Coelho, the philosopher, says that when we get too close to our goals or dreams or whatever, a fear of realising that dream arises within us. We suddenly start feeling guilty and forget all our hard work of the past. We commit a series of blunders and lose it all.

My dear friends let me tell you, this is all bullshit. Our problem is that we are just plain lazy. And the sad part is that we revel in it. It’s the best excuse: Sorry, I’m lazy. What can I do? God made me that way.

I should not ask a student to go against his nature, but if you are not counting this as a solution, there is none. Blame God or blame your fickle teenage hormones. If you are happy with your life, that’s good enough. Or else, it’s only you who can do something about it. Think again.

No comments:

Post a Comment